Foods that cleanse the liver. When the liver is taxed it can’t process toxins and fat in an efficient way. There are many foods that can help cleanse the liver naturally, by stimulating the natural ability to clean toxic waste from the body. Eating the following foods is the best way to keep your liver healthy and functioning the way you need it to.
- Garlic. Just a small amount has the ability to activate liver enzymes, which help your body flush out toxins. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
- Grapefruit.It’s high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, and has the natural cleansing ability to support the liver. Grapefruit juice helps boost the production of liver detoxification enzymes, and helps flush out carcinogens and other toxins.
- Beats and carrots. Both extremely high in plant flavonoids and beta-carotene. This helps stimulate and improve overall liver function.
- Green tea. This liver loving beverage is full of plant antioxidants and catechins, a constituent known to assist the livers overall function.
- leafy green vegetables. One of the most powerful allies in cleansing the liver that can be eaten raw, cooked, or juiced.High in plant chlorophylls, greens literally suck up environmental toxins from the blood stream and the body. They eliminate and neutralize chemicals and pesticides and are powerful protective mechanisms for the liver.
- Avocados. This nutrient super food helps the body produce glutathione, which is necessary for the liver to cleanse harmful toxins. Recent studies show that avocados greatly improve liver health.
Doing a liver cleanse at least 2 to 3 times a year
- Apples. They are high in pectin, apples hold the chemical constituents needed for the body to cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract. This makes it easier for the liver to handle the toxic load during the cleansing process.
- Olive oil. Cold pressed organic oil such as olive oil, hemp seed oil, flax seed oil, are great for the liver. When used in moderation they help the body produce a lipid base that can suck up harmful toxins. In this way it takes some of the burden off of the liver in terms of the toxic overload that many of us suffer from.
- Whole grains.Grains such as brown rice, which are rich in B complex vitamins, improve the overall fat metabolization and liver function as well as liver congestion.
- Cruciferous vegetables will add necessary enzyme production in the liver and support it. These natural enzymes will help flush out carcinogens and other toxins from the body.
- Lemons and limes. These citrus fruits contain high amounts of vitamin C, which aids the body in synthesizing toxic material into substances that can be absorbed by water. Drinking freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice mixed in water in the morning will help stimulate your liver.
- Walnuts. Holding high amounts of the amino acid arginine, walnuts aid the liver by detoxifying ammonia.They also support glutathione production in the liver.
- Cabbage. Much like broccoli and cauliflower, eating cabbage will help stimulate the activation of two crucial liver detoxifying enzymes that also help the liver flush out toxins.
- Turmeric, the livers favored spice. Turmeric helps boost liver detox by assisting the enzymes again that actively flush out known dietary carcinogens. Other liver cleansing foods are artichokes, asparagus, kale, and Brussels sprouts.
Eating the 14 foods listed above is a great way to keep your liver functioning properly. However, for best results, I would recommend doing a liver cleanse. Doing a liver cleanse at least 2 to 3 times a year will eliminate any foreign substances that you may have trapped inside of your liver.